UNIVERSITY OF MARYLAND MEDICAL CENTER (UMMC)
The University of Maryland Integrative Medicine Team helps hospitalized patients to cope with the stress and discomfort of hospitalization, surgery or recovery from trauma. Our expert team of integrative physicians, holistic nurses, therapeutic musicians and mind-body therapists assist patients in the management of pain, anxiety, sleep problems and more. Our diverse and effective modalities include:
In addition to serving most of UMMC, we are:
- Caring for Pediatric Patients. Our team now sees patients in UMMC's pediatric units. We not only help these sick kids, but support their parents and loved ones. One way we help them is with the "poke plan," a resource for parents to help with managing their child's pain. Download a copy of "Poke Plan for Parents."
- Producing Wellness Videos. Our Integrative Care Team created Integrative Wellness videos that will be expand their reach across the hospital. They will be available on the UMMC internal TV networks and will be posted on YouTube. To view these helpful videos, please click here.
- Available for the Biologic Containment Unit. We are part of the Biologic Containment Unit team that was set up to care for Ebola and other highly infectious patients. Our team provides integrative care to patients, family and staff who are suffering with anxiety, pain, sleep dysfunction and more.
- Seeing patients in Thoracic Oncology Clinic. As part of the interdisciplinary Thoracic Oncology clinical and research team (pictured) at the University of Maryland, we are able to offer integrative physician consultations to lung and pleural cancer patients. This also provides the opportunity for close clinical and research collaboration with cancer surgeons, medical oncologists and radiation oncologists.
Our team can be contacted via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by pager at 410-328-2337 #4482.
UNIVERSITY OF MARYLAND REHABILITATION AND ORTHOPEDICS INSTITUTE (UMROI)
We want to help our patients throughout their journey to recovery – from the acute care hospital to their rehab stay at UMROI to their follow up in our outpatient office. Our Integrative Care in Rehab program is a vital part of that effort. We offer acupuncture, guided imagery and other integrative modalities to help rehab patients manage pain, anxiety and Post Traumatic Stress symptoms.
In addition to providing care on the spinal cord injury and stroke units, we also see patients in the Complex Medical Rehab Unit, where some of the most complicated patients receive their care.
The Integrative Care Team is committed to providing regular support for nurses, physicians, social workers, nurse’s aides, unit staff and more. We can help the patient care team retain empathy and avoid compassion fatigue and burnout by providing Reiki, mind-body techniques, sound healing and more.
In addition to acupuncture and guided imagery, we offer Alpha-Stim Cranial Electrical Stimulation and Microcurrent Therapy to help patients manage pain, anxiety and sleep dysfunction.
HOW YOU CAN HELP
Our primary goal is to care for more patients by growing our inpatient team. We have an urgent need for more inpatient integrative practitioners. The need for our services is vast, but our team and budget are small. With your financial support we plan to:
- Add an integrative physician and nurse practitioner to our team.
- Hire another holistic nurse, a mind-body therapist and a pediatric medical massage therapist.
To help us today, please visit our donation page or call Sheila Young in the Development Office at 410-706-0106.