Health & Wellness Conference 2012
- The University of Maryland Center for Integrative Medicine held its first annual Health & Wellness Conference, Saturday, April 14, 2012 at the Hilton Baltimore. More than 400 people attended to hear the conference keynote speakers, best selling wellness author Andrew Weil, M.D. and Thomas Scalea, M.D., physician-in-chief of the R Adams Cowley Shock Trauma Center.
In addition, the conference featured more than 20 workshops and a lunchtime panel that examined the future of healthcare. Brian Berman, M.D., founder and director of the Center for Integrative Medicine moderated the panel that included Delia Chiaramonte, M.D., assistant professor of Family & Community Medicine and the director of education at the Center for Integrative Medicine; Steven C. Schimpff, M.D., author and former chief executive officer of the University of Maryland Medical Center; and Jeffrey Bland, Ph.D., F.A.C.N., F.A.C.B., chief science officer of Metagenics and president of Metraproeomics.
The conference was intended for both healthcare professionals and the lay public. Its purpose was to further an understanding of integrative medicine and how different evidence-based therapies promote health and well-being and can be incorporated into conventional health care.
Some of the workshop powerpoint presentations have been made available to us (in handout form), as well as some of the videos from the conference and can be found below.
Videos & Reference Materials
Dr. Brian Berman, MD, director of the Center for Integrative Medicine, served as the event's Master of Ceremonies. View a video of his welcome speech.
PowerPoints from Session I:
- East Meets West. Presenter: Lixing Lao, PhD, LAc
- Busting Stress. Presenter: Delia Chiaramonte, MD
- Holistic Health for Women. Presenter: Joyce Frye, DO
- Supplement Your Dietary Supplement IQ. Presenter: Chris D'Adamo, PhD, CPT
PowerPoints from Session II:
- In Google We Trust? Presenter: Delia Chiaramonte, MD
- Changing Your Mind, Changing Your Pain. Presenter: Brian Morrison, DC
- Mindful Eating. Presenter: Catherine Kelleher, ScD, MPH, MS, RN
- Cancer Care for the Whole Person. Presenters: Ting Bao, MD, LAc and Chris D'Adamo, PhD, CPT
- Holistic Dentistry. Presenter: Judy Yu, DMD
The Lunchtime Panel was "The Future of Health Care" with introductions by US Senator Barbara Mikulski and questions from the audience. Moderator: Brian Berman, MD. Panelists: Jeffrey Bland, Ph.D., F.A.C.N., F.A.C.B., Delia Chiaramonte, MD, and Stephen Schimpff, MD. View a video of Senator Mikulski's speech.
View a video of the Plenary Session "Humanism in a High-Tech Environment: Is it Possible and How Does it Look?" by Thomas Scalea, MD.
Powerpoints from Session III:
- Reinvigorate your Body and Mind: Medical QiGong. Presenter: Kevin Chen, PhD
- Wellness in Your Workplace. Presenters: Delia Chiaramonte, MD, Chris D'Adamo, PhD, CPT, and Rebekah Owens, LMT
View a slideshow of photos from the conference. (Taken by Harry Bosk.)
Thank you to our Conference 2012 Sponsors! Interested in becoming a sponsor in 2013? Contact Sheila Young at firstname.lastname@example.org or 410-706-0106.
- The University of Maryland Medical Center is one of the nation's oldest academic medical centers. Our patients benefit from the talent and experience of the finest physicians, nurses, researchers and other health care providers. Health care professionals from many disciplines work together as a team to cure illness, conquer disease, and assure the needed support for patients and their families. All of the medical center's physicians are faculty members at the University of Maryland School of Medicine, the nation's fifth oldest and first public medical school and a recognized leader in biomedical research and medical education.
- Biologische Heilmittel Heel GmbH is a pharmaceutical company that develops, manufactures and distributes medicines based on natural substances. Being the global leader in homeopathic combination preparations, the company is a pioneer in the field of scientific research in natural healthcare. Heel actively fosters the concept of Integrative Medicine and is building the bridge between homeopathy and conventional medicine to improve patient care and health. Heel medicines are available in over 50 countries around the world.
- Be Well World, Inc. is a Maryland-based publisher of four quarterly local holistic health publications as well as a consortium of 2,000 health and wellness practitioners. Together, we are dedicated to mutual support and educating the public on holistic health topics.